Amavasya is the night when the moon comes in between the Earth & Sun and becomes invisible. Astrologically Sun and Moon enter into the same zodiac at the same degree. Amavasya night is associated with horror deeds in the dark in mythology. It’s the night which Tantriks wait to perform their rituals and gain power from mysterious gods. “Inauspicious Night of Amavasya” this tag is associated with this due to several reasons.
Amavasya is also called a new Moon or the lunar face of the new moon. The lunar month always starts after a full moon night called Poornima. Amavasya is considered to be the time of great power. It’s the night when evil powers become supreme and ill eyes become powerful. Even today the majority of workers do not work on Amavasya. It’s considered to be the period when one should worship forefathers.
See Also: Amavasya Dates
It’s believed that the physical and mental ability of humans becomes weaker and imbalanced during this night. It affects our subconscious mind which is highly vulnerable. Tulsi leaves should not be plucked on this night. People mostly avoid auspicious activities during this day and some avoid the whole month in which there are two Amavasyas.
Childbirth is not considered to be positive during Amavasya because there is no moon. Moon signifies mind, cough, mother, throat and cold. Its absence will not deprive the child from positive radiations of the moon. Certain hormonal activities are also impacted on this night. It’s a vulnerable day that affects every entity under the sky.
Amavasya Negative Effects
Amavasya is seen as the darkest day of a lunar month on which all the evil spirits and negative energies are powerful. Impact of black magic and tantra mantra is also considered to be very strong on Amavasya. Goddess Kali and Lord Shiva are worshipped on this day. Disciples keep fast and do prayers to fulfill their dreams & wishes.
Since Amavasya has an ill impact on humans, one can keep fast to gain blessings and reduce them. Let’s discuss the different bad effects of Amavasya.
- Those people who have any mental problems feel anxious and disturbed on this day.
- People possess mixed feelings and undergo mood swings.
- All our feelings and emotions are heightened during this night.
- People experience extreme happiness, excitement, sadness.
- Quarrels and arguments are prominent on this day.
- People suffer from ailments like indigestion and fatigue on this day.
- People have prominent negative feelings and short temperedness
- Newborn babies are also affected by Amavasya.
Amavasya Positive Effects
It’s Tamilian’s belief that Amavasya is a good period. All the good effects that amavasya can bring in are discussed here.
- This is the period of growth and strength since it is the growing phase of the moon.
- People offer prayers to their forefathers or ancestors on this day to gain their blessings.
- Amavasya is a good day for learning sculptures since it’s blessed by our ancestors.
- The chances of failure of activity started on this day with the blessings of ancestors are very less.
- With the holy dip on this day one can swipe away evil deeds & Sins that are performed.
- In old Indian culture and belief Amavasya is considered to be the time of great power and charisma.
- Kartik Amavasya is considered to be auspicious for any work.
- Somvati amavasya that is on Mondays is considered to abolish widowhood and enhance childbirth.
- Lakshmi Pujan is also done on Amavasya especially on Diwali.
Amavasya is considered to be a dark night without a moon in which evil powers become strong and humans go restless. Keeping fast during Amavasya is believed to remove its ill effects. People often go for a holy dip to eradicate and clean their sins. Irony is that a dark night is chosen for enlightenment from all evil deeds that are done. Worship of Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu is considered to bring peace, harmony and wealth in the life of devotees.
On the day of Amavasya, planets emit more energy and radiation which are absorbed by humans. Positive and negative impacts depend upon their charts and planetary positions.