Pilates if you have heard the women around you whispering this word during conversations with each other, don’t be surprised. Pilates has caught on like fire amongfreaks, especially women, though definitely not restricted to. What Zumba managed to do a couple of years ago is what Pilates has achieved today.
BUT WHAT DO PILATES CONSTITUTE? AND WHY IS IT SUCH A CRAZE THESE DAYS?
Simply said, Pilates is a form of exercise that ensures a balanced development of the body through core strength, flexibility through efficient and graceful movements. It was developed by Joseph Pilates and is also known as the Pilates Method. Unlike most forms of workout in the gym, Pilates does not discriminate between age and works its wonders on people across age groups. It’s even great for women who are recuperating post pregnancy. If you want to become stronger, longer, leaner, and be able to do anything with grace and ease, then this is for you.
However, rather than giving you a gist of the information, we have eight good reasons that should convince you about Pilates. So here goes:
- Strengthens your core rather than a particular area – Weightlifting is great if you are looking to strengthen your arms or legs, but it does little for the rest of your body. Only few manage to continue their training to a level where they can start using their core muscles. That’s not the case with Pilates. You begin to strengthen your core muscles right from the beginning.
- Get those gorgeous 6-pack abs – Women have reported that after 36 weeks of Pilates, they were able to strengthen their rectus abdominis, which happens to be the muscle responsible for 6-packs, by almost 21%.
- Do away with joint pains – Due to the slow and controlled nature of Pilates, there is minimal impact on the joints. Not to mention, the Pilates mat has a comfortable cushioning, which ensures that pressure has been taken off your back and knees. It’s great if you want to steer clear from osteoporosis.
- Flexibility all the way – It’s a misconception that you have to be flexible to do Pilates. The truth is that Pilates helps you get flexible. Tight muscles prevent free movement, hence increasing your chances of getting an injury. In one Brazilian study, when young women (without any prior Pilates experience) performed 20 Pilates sessions, they became 19.1 percent more flexible (as reported by magazine).
- It’s great for the back – Those suffering from chronic back pain have reported that Pilates has benefited them tremendously. It is even ideal for those who have desk jobs and very little movement during the day. Regular Pilates will help you reduce instances of back pain.
- It helps ease menopausal symptoms – There are a host of changes that take place to your body during menopause. And just for that, there are a host of Pilates exercises that work on your abdomen, spine and other core muscles that help ease the effects of the changes taking place within your body. It also helps your body deal with the temperatures changes taking place within.
- Pilates for a healthy pregnancy – Who says you can’t stay in shape during your pregnancy? Pilates not only builds strength, balance and stamina, but can also help you have an easier labour. It also opens you to the miracles of deep breathing and relaxation. Positions that include going on your knees and hands are great to take the strain off your back and pelvic area. And, they can also help get the baby in the right position for birth.
- It’s a great recovery method for cancer survivors – Pilates is a safe and effective way to help you regain flexibility, power, and endurance while relieving treatment side effects such as lymph edema, fatigue, depression, peripheral neuropathy, osteoporosis, and upper extremity impairment. So whether you are in between treatment or coming out of one, Pilates is a great way to help reduce pain and swelling and regain your range of motion.
Pilates is a great way to get in shape and not strain your body in the process. It’s results are long-term and have a healthy effect on your body if conducted on a regular basis.
So download the Android) today and find the nearest Pilates classes to you. Only you can try it to believe it.App ( and