7 replies, 8 voices Last updated by  junaid 2 weeks, 3 days ago
  • Author

Amelia
    Participant
    @Amelia

what is the most effective way to study for final exams? i need your suggestions please suggest me the effective way to study regularly.

Muntazir Abbas
    Keymaster
    @muntazirgb

Once, instead of studying for the exam two days away, I wrote myself a flashcard program (didn’t occur to idiot me to look for an existing one). Finished it in about a day and used it to pass all my exams. Understanding what you’re studying helps a lot with the recall, but the repetition of flashcards really cements it. And writing the cards yourself helps you identify what you really understand. Can’t write a good flashcard on something you know nothing about.

zainab
    Participant
    @zainab

Commit to spending time on studying. Clear your time table and let your friends know that’s what you’re doing. The worst thing when you’re about to study is getting a text from your friends inviting you to do something more exciting than studying (which is anything).

Then: Know what you’re studying! Gather all the information you’ll be studying from, class notes to online sources.

Finally: You’re ready to study.

The method that works best for me is physically writing the information I need to memorize/study – potentially several times. Once I’ve done this, I highlight the sentences or ideas that carry the most significance to the subject I’m studying.

After: I let the information sink in for a day or two and then return to the notes again – possibly rewriting them.

I find writing the information several times is the fastest way I memorize things. Something about your hand moving in the same way over and over while the same thought is burning into your memory – it becomes second nature when the test rolls around.

murtaza.ali
    Participant
    @murtaza.ali

The best way is to study consistently over a period of days leading to the finals exams. This way the material gets firmly established in the mind.

Write down salient points of various chapters during your study, so that the day before the finals, you can just go through those.

Take practice tests to see how well you know the subject. If there are questions you can’t answer, review those sections well.

Finally, get good rest before an exam, so you are alert and ready.

stewart
    Participant
    @stewart

Hello, @amelia! This is the very important question. My method was two hours on each subject per day (I only had three). A total of 6 hours a day. However, with the coursework, maybe you can cut it down a little to 1.5 hours for each subject. That way you’d be getting a really decent amount of work done.

You still have a month. Remember that. That’s LOADS of time. You have it! Don’t worry. Just study hard, and don’t go partying. You know you’ve done well if, when the entire period is all over, you couldn’t have physically done any more work than you had done without burning out.

Steven
    Participant
    @Steven

I had four exams a month apart and started studying 8 weeks before the first one, as did all of my friends. And I’m talking 8+ hours in the library every day, going up to 10-13 hours in the week before the exam when I started to stress! If I’d have done a week of revision I’d have probably failed or just scraped a pass instead of getting As.

Steve
    Participant
    @Steve

Pattern is a matter of disciplined repetition of action with concerted focus, plan, engagement and accomplishment.

Any task, sounding difficult, can be broken into smaller pieces and phases, start with easy one, chalk out a progressive plan of maturity and intensity in engaging.

A person eventually ending up with PhD starts at first standard, or even easy one, day care then UKG, LKG, preperatory etc.

So, devise the maturity plan akin to the above example.

Use the simple, time tested discipline of management: Plan, Do, Check, Act. Do what is planned, plan what is committed to do. Outside planning and doing, have time to check and compare, identify issues of correction, improvement and progress. Act on such and incorporate corrective actions in next round of planning.

Learn to plan at the level of year, quarter, month, week, day, portion of day, hour. Act per plan. Bring the art of planning and acting in sync using the other two tools, check and act.

Always, keep reserves in planning: 10–30% contingency. If you think an act can be done in 60 minutes, accomodate 90 minutes to it to start with. Slowly improve the art of minimizing contingency towards only within 10%

Time management is both an intuitive art and a management discipline. Focus on that too.

Have a measure of productivity per time. Whether it is studying, playing, working, thinking etc., have a sense of effectiveness against time, observe performance in this regard, constantly look for improvement in this regard.

So, the bottomline is that the discipline and focus mentioned above is not just for studying, it is everything we do in 24 hours a day 365 days an year, and year on year!

When we are fully aware, responsible for self, and committed to intentional life, all pieces of puzzle slowly fall in place as our intelligence, focus, commitment, efforts and results improve day by day, drastically, this applies to studies as well to all other things not related to studies.

Balance too is the key. Anything we decide to focus, we need to focus on the opposite too to balance self, context etc. For example, if there is focus on studies there needs to be focus on break from studies. If there is focus on success, there needs to be focus on what if failure (This is called Risk Management). If there is focus on performance, there needs to be answers to questions of failure, shutdown, accident etc.

The 10–30% contingency in planning addresses for risk management.

Assume one falls sick and is out of commission for a week. There needs to be room to accommodate such nasty surprises in the plan.

More we are real, more easily we find our-self dealing with reality. All actions have consequences. So, let every action be intentional, planned, well understood and engaged with room for errors and surprises, both nasty one and otherwise!

If one wins big money in lottery, one should spend, but with plan, purpose, focus for results and a realistic measure of resources, time, effort, results etc. Similarly one is always required to be prepared to do the best in all endeavors, in spite of good or bad influences and outcomes.

junaid
    Participant
    @junaid

It’s important to know that there are many different styles of learning and each person will retain information better in different ways. Check out this link to see what we mean.

As you can see, visual learners learn best when pictures, images, and spatial understanding is used.
    Auditory learners prefer using music, sounds or both.

learners prefer a more physical style of learning through using the body, sense of touch and hands.

Logical learners desire to use reasoning, logic and systems.

Verbal learners will prefer using words in writing and speech.

Social learners will prefer to learn with other people or in groups.

Solitary learners are able to learn best alone.

Once you have figured out which style of learning works best for you, it will help you determine how to study, where to study, when to study and other important factors like what study aids you should use and be aware of, and knowing what things may distract you while you are trying to study.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.