1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by  Jennis 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Muntazir Abbas
      Keymaster
      @muntazirgb

If you’re ready to try despite all the difficulties I’d suggest the following strategy basing on my previous experience (I left my daily job for a freelance/solo work multiple times):

– Schedule few hours of your usual day for your solo/freelance work. 10-15 hours per week is usually enough to start your own pet project.

– If you’re not good enough at a certain programming language – I’d recommend to focus on a pet project first. Make a web-based game, create an online shop for a friend, simplify one of your daily tasks with a simple script/program/web service. Make sure that what you’re doing brings value to at least one person. All ‘hello world’ samples are good for learning language, but absolutely worthless to get some real-world experience with technology you’re learning.

– Deploy your pet project to the web, make sure it runs smoothly, polish it enough to make it bug-free. There’s no need to make it awesome, good is enough. It is very important to show that you already have an experience so your pet project should be always up and running. Now you have a portfolio!

– Since you’re already working 10-15 hours per week on your pet project it is time to find another 10-15 hours per week for a freelance job. You’ll now have 20-30 hours per week to dedicate for your hobby and side job.

– Fill out profiles on multiple freelance services (eLance, oDesk, etc.), make sure to mention your pet project. Try to pass skill tests on the freelance services if there are any – they’ll help your potential customers to be sure that you’re good enough to talk to you.

– Start responding to projects posted to freelance services. Don’t try to take expensive and large-scale projects, focus on smaller fix/change/improve tasks – they’re much less attractive for large freelance teams so you have a decent chance.

– Finish multiple smaller freelance projects while still working on your daily job, keep maintaining your pet project. At that point you should have a certain number of customers who’ll occasionally contact you about further development tasks, support, and maintenance.

– Quit your daily job as soon as you get enough customers to pay you at least the same salary as you receive for your daily job. Focus on getting more customers and maintaining those you already have.

– You’re a freelancer now. Congratulations!

Jennis
      Participant
      @JennisFr

Hello! I like screenprinting a lot and I often make some T-Shirt designs too. As for some good and quality blank t-shirts, I recommend you to try those from https://www.gotapparel.com/p-1254-canvas-greenwich-t-shirt.aspx They are great and pretty cheap which is cool too. You will certainly find something for you there, good luck 😉

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.