Activity Streams Forums Online Earning Besides freelance writing, how can I make money from home ?

7 replies, 7 voices Last updated by  Jaxon Floyd 6 months ago
  • Author

Amelia
    Participant
    @Amelia

Besides freelance writing, how can I make money from home … please recommend a good source…

Alex Jones
    Participant
    @alex

YOU DO IT TO YOURSELF! How many times have you talked yourself out of applying for an opportunity because you didn’t have the right experience or credentials?

If you believe experience and credentials are the only ways to land a freelance writing job, you’re missing out on the entire world of people who are simply sidestepping you.

I know. I’ve helped thousands of people land freelance jobs that paid them more, gave them more responsibility and flexibility, and even showed them what they wanted to do with their lives.

The truth is, we don’t need magical credentials to get ahead. Yes, experience matters, and in some jobs (like surgeon), credentials really matter.

But we all know people who defer their goals until they have “all their ducks in a row” — maybe $100K of grad school, maybe some worthless certification, maybe some mysterious person they hope will appear in their lives and declare them “great” — only to find out that nobody really cares.

The truth is: We don’t need to wait for years, praying and hoping for our boss to grace us with “success.” I’ll show you the exact, step-by-step process to do it NOW.

Your first goal: Get 3 writing clients

Don’t start a blog.

Don’t start “social media marketing.”

Don’t start SEO.

Complex marketing strategies like SEO, blogging, and viral marketing appear both easy and discreet, when in reality they’re often an excuse for you to avoid the hard work of finding actual people who will pay you for your services. Do you know how long “SEO” takes to work?

Stop building complex marketing strategies for clients you don’t have. Your first goal is to get 3 clients. Do you really need a blog to do that?

And notice I said 3 clients, not just 1 — that could be a fluke. Get 3. Once you have 3 clients, you’ve proven that you have a reliable base of people who’ll pay you for your services. You can test service offerings and prices on them. And now you can start with more complex marketing strategies.

Remember: Skip all the fanciness and get 3 people to pay you first.

Getting your first client is a 2-step process that I call Locate and Communicate.

Amelia
      Participant
      @Amelia

Thank you @alex
      Especially liked the advice about communicate with your client.

samiaaltaf
      Participant
      @samiaaltaf

HI @alex
      Awesome indeed

I loved the way you shared everything so well with us – the way you have gone about doing things – it’s surely an eye-opener for me and for many others too.

Honestly speaking, I haven’t really started thinking of earning money from my blog as that wasn’t the aim when I started it, but your post surely motivated me to think in that direction for a change. I guess you need to make a start somewhere, and if you want to do that, you need to lessen down or cut-off a lot of other things you do too.

Thanks for sharing yet another inspirational post with us. Have a nice week

murtaza.ali
    Participant
    @murtaza.ali

The best thing about freelancing is that you can work for clients in the UK and around the world with just an internet connection from home, to your own hours whilst developing valuable skills.

A great place to start is with the leading freelance site Upwork.com. Or try using our student job search to find freelance jobs closer to home.

Miller
    Participant
    @miller

Do you write at all? I made some money doing editing work and some content writing on freelance sites like upwork. It takes a little while to get going initially but once you have a few reviews you can usually make a little headway. I had one consistent client that was a great source of work with very reasonable hours per week.

Qasim @

I advertise events and promotions for local stores on Facebook. I started by organizing tournaments / events for a local Hobby Store which I go to recreationally and got a good review. Now I manage 6 Facebook pages for local businesses and charge $50/month to each business just to make Facebook posts.

Jaxon Floyd
    Participant
    @Jaxon

I was also looking into ways to make money online. I found oDesk and Outsource.com to be helpful. I got a couple gigs just writing product descriptions and other menial tasks that didn’t require a ton of expertise. A lot of the people hiring on there just wanted people who were fluent in English.
    Also, and I’m not proud of this, but I got a gig posting ads on craigslist, backpage, etc, that would direct people to cam shows. I got $10 for each person that actually signed up, which was around $300/month.
    I also recently started bartending one night per week, which adds up to about $500 extra per month.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.