Activity Streams Forums Web Development Backing up and restoring your site

8 replies, 6 voices Last updated by  junaid 6 months, 1 week ago
  • Author

gbtechnohouse
    Participant
    @gbtechnohouse

Your WordPress database contains every post, every comment and every link you have on your blog. If your database gets erased or corrupted, you stand to lose everything you have written. There are many reasons why this could happen and not all are things you can control. With a proper backup of your WordPress database and files, you can quickly restore things back to normal.

Instructions to back up your WordPress site include:

WordPress Site and your WordPress Database
    Automatic WordPress backup options
    In addition, support is provided online at the WordPress Support Forum to help you through the process

Site backups are essential because problems inevitably occur and you need to be in a position to take action when disaster strikes. Spending a few minutes to make an easy, convenient backup of your database will allow you to spend even more time being creative and productive with your website.

Hussain Ali
    Participant
    @Hussain

My database backups are huge! Can I do anything about that???

gbtechnohouse
      Participant
      @gbtechnohouse

@hussain anti-spam and statistics WordPress Plugins can add large amounts of data and because they are constantly gathering information, the database can swell significantly. When backing up the database, such information is probably not important to keep. Do not mark those tables for backup when selecting them during the backup process.

Muntazir Abbas
    Keymaster
    @muntazirgb

I am assuming that you have a backup of all your files (this should contain WordPress Core, plugins, themes, updates, uploads, etc.) and your entire WordPress database (posts and pages, users, comments, etc.) on your PC and you are not using any other tools. So, let me answer this question first and then we can look at a couple of alternatives.

Also, I am assuming that you simply need to restore your site to the same location and that you are not migrating or cloning your site.

If you have a full backup of all your files, that should contain WordPress Core installation as well. You won’t need to freshly install WordPress.

In this case you can perform a manual restore. This has two steps or phases.

Restoring WordPress files via FTP. Please note that for this task you will need an FTP client like FileZilla or CyberDuck.

You will need your site’s SFTP/FTP details to log into the FTP client.
    Restoring database via phpMyAdmin. Usually you should be able to access phpMyAdmin via your hosting account’s cPanel dashboard. If not please contact your web host.
    Please note, that you need to manually restore both files and database, otherwise it will not be full site restore.

You can also look at a number of backup plugins in the WordPress repository that offer automatic restores. However, they have their own pros and cons.

Usually when you want to restore your site it is because you can’t access your site or your WP-admin dashboard.

Plugins are on your site and if for some reason your site crashes, or you can’t access wp-admin dashboard then you can’t use your backup tool to restore your site. You will be forced to revert to the manual process mentioned above.

For the above reason plugins do not seem like the best option for easy restores.

On a slight tangent, restoring your site can be simpler based on the web hosting service on which your site is hosted as well. This is not necessarily useful to everyone but can be a good reference point for whom, backup and restores is an issue when choosing a web host. There are couple of options you can look at.

For example, restoring your site on SiteGround is a simpler task when compared to manual restores. This is because they have ‘Softaculous’ in their cPanel dashboard. The same way other web hosts may have other tools. Alternatively, Flywheel and WP Engine offer automatic restores with their backups.

Of course, there are both pros and cons in the above cases. One big con is that you are dependant on your web host to both perform backups and to restore your backups.

Ideally, both the backup and restore process has to be independent of your web host. For this, the best options to look at would be a backup and restore service rather than WordPress backup plugins or web hosts.

Alyce
      Participant
      @alyce

@muntazir Abbas Thanks for sharing. This guide is really helpful for getting the backup of my website

Alex Jones
        Participant
        @alex

Well written and easy to follow instructions. Good job w/ brief WP overview prior to hoping into tutorial. Thanks Muntazir Abbas.

junaid
      Participant
      @junaid

Thank you @muntazir abbas for this skillful and unique explanation. I will like to suggest Backup & Restore Dropbox plugin on WordPress. It is very useful in keeping all your Dropbox files and data safe.

Alex Jones
    Participant
    @alex

So ive done this for all the sites ive ever created but my big question is once you have the sql backup how would you go about restoring it if you did get hacked?

Muntazir Abbas
      Keymaster
      @muntazirgb

@alex, There is an article on WordPress.com that explains this. However, I personally recommend using a plugin like VaultPress (we use VaultPress on all of our sites and love it – we don’t make any money promoting them, it’s just awesome) that stores the backups for you and provides you with a simple “restore” button you can use as needed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.