Anal Fistula is a minute channel that can occur between the skin near the anal area and the end of the bowel. If an individual was suffering from an abscess, then he can develop Anal Fistula. The ulcer can be full of pus if infected. If it is not healed correctly, then it can soon develop into Anal Fistula. While you are passing stool, bleeding or pus discharge may take place. This can lead to extreme pain.
Symptoms of Anal Fistula:
Following are the symptoms of Anal Fistula:
- Discharge of blood and pus from the anus.
- Redness in the anal region.
- Excruciating pain in the anal area.
- Feeling extreme discomfort while sitting.
- Swelling in the anal area.
If you have noticed any of the symptoms mentioned above, then you need to take to visit your doctor as soon as possible.
Types of Anal Treatment:
There are different types of treatments available for anal treatment. You can visit your doctor, and he will decide upon which treatment suits you the most:
- Fistulotomy: This is the most common type of surgery for anal fistula is Fistulotomy. In this option, the whole length of the fistula is cut open so that it gradually heals as a flat scar. This surgery is suitable for those fistulas which do not pass through sphincter muscles.
- VAAFT: VAAFT or Video Assisted Anal Fistula Treatment is an almost painless way for the treatment of anal fistula. Doctors utilize a very thin endoscope to identify the opening of the fistula and removal of the tracts. It helps in swift recovery, and the patient can go back to a healthy life after treatment quite quickly. There is minimal risk of incontinence.
- Advancement flap procedure: If your fistula passes through the muscles of your anal sphincter, then this is the best treatment that you can undergo. Experts will cut out and scrape the fistula and cover the hole entirely with a flap of tissue. This tissue is collected from the inside of the rectum.
- Seton techniques: Your surgeon may recommend the insertion of a Seton. It is a piece of surgical thread which helps in keeping the fistula open for several weeks. Thus the fistula gets healed on its own without any severe surgery. While a loose Seton helps in draining the fistula, a tight Seton helps in curing the fistula by cutting through it gradually.
- LIFT procedure: LIFT or the Ligation of the intersphincteric Fistula Tract is suitable for those fistulas which pass through the anal sphincter muscles. The surgeon will make a precise cut in the skin just above the fistula. Thus the sphincter muscles are moved apart. Then he will seal both the ends and cut it open so that it lies flat and gets healed quickly.
There are many other effective treatment procedures for the treatment of Anal Fistula, such as laser surgery, endoscopic ablation, fibrin glue, bioprosthetic plug, and so on. If you are suffering from anal fistula, then you must take medical help as soon as possible. You can visit the clinic of Dr. Ashish Bhanot. He has years of experience, and his expertise sets him apart from the rest of the doctors.